We love the touch of elegance and flair wax seals add to an envelope! Who doesn't? Whether you're mailing wedding invitations, party invites or announcements, wax seals are a beautiful addition.
• Power on your wax heat gun by plugging it into an outlet. It takes about two minutes to warm.
• Place a sealing wax stick into the wax heat gun. Followed by a second stick to give the first stick a push.
• Squeeze the heat gun handle to allow the warm wax to drip. Squeeze the handle for enough wax to measure the size of a dime onto a piece of wax paper.
• Lift away the gun to press the stamp into the center of the hot wax.
• Hold in place without picking up the stamp for 10-15 seconds.
• Continue making as many wax seals, as you need.
• Allow time to dry completely.
• Once dry, adhere to back flap of envelope with one large adhesive dot.
Make a bold first impression with wax seals. For wedding paper goods, consider a custom stamp.
Tips for Sealing with Stamps
Tip 1: Press the stamp into the center of wax to achieve symmetry.
Tip 2: Avoid sealing the wax directly onto an invitation. It can cause seepage, allowing the wax to seep through the envelope onto your invitation.
Tip 3: Using a wax heat gun and wax seal sticks is the new modern way to create a wax seal. The old way with a wax stick, spoon, and a wick takes much longer and can create more of a mess. Plus, soot from the flame can discolor wax and leave black markings.
Tip 4: One wax stick can create 8-12 wax seals. Plan accordingly when ordering wax sticks.
Tip 5: Press the stamp into the wax 10-15 seconds each. The pressure allows the seal to stay flat.
When mailing an envelope with a wax seal, you will need to go to a post office, speak to someone behind the counter and request the letter be post dated by hand. The letter will be “hand postmarked” by a person and sorted manually (not sent through machinery.)
USPS machinery can damage or crack the wax seal.
W E L C O M E
Welcome to Brooke Holden Calligraphy, my space for hand lettering, calligraphy, wedding + event planning, styling ... and everything in between.
I N S T A N T A C C E S S
to the BHC Email Club where you can grab exclusive free lettering worksheets, calligraphy guides and more!
B L O G
C A T E G O R I E S
S H O P